Monday, March 29, 2010

Turkey carving


Going home to a nice Turkey dinner tonight.
Right on. Right on.
No special occasion, just had a nice size turkey "hanging out" in our freezer for a while and we thought "let's cook that sucker!"
It was cooked yesterday, but finished too late to eat.
I was basting the Turkey around 8 PM when my wife was talking to her Dad on the phone. There was a suggestion on the phone to cut into the inner leg to see if the turkey was done. Our family has no shortage of "jokes" and before I knew it, there was reference to 'me' as the turkey and the thought that it was cruel to suggest that I carve myself.
I just chuckled quietly to myself as I appreciate a good joke.

After carving a piece of the 'real' turkey, I soon realized as I dropped the knife
into my toe that the joke had taken self-fulfilling prophetic turn.
I didn't really react out-loud much and was just happy that the knife bounced away and didn't stake me to the floor.
My wife retrieved the knife from behind me and I was just standing there waiting for the red stuff to make an appearance.
Wait for it.....wait for it...yep...there was the little stain in the white sock I was waiting for.
It was kinda funny.
I had a nice drip of blood coming from the inner of my toe, but after washing it out it wasn't much at all had a good laugh with my father-in-law on the phone.

In that conversation, I was the turkey 'again' and he told me to stand up for myself and to avoid be carved by anybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment